At our meeting Lynn Fanthorpe came to speak on Fearless Machine Quilting.
Following are some of Lynn’s hints for successful machine quilting.
- Use sheets of unlined paper and practice machine quilting ideas. This can help your brain get into the rhythm and flow of what you want to do on your quilt.
- Use machine quilting gloves.
- Needles she prefers are those labelled – Embroidery, Quilting, Jeans, or Metallic because of the longer groove in the shank.
- She changes the needle after 5-6 hours of quilting.
- Don’t go too fast.
- Don’t stitch while moving your hands.
- If your machine quilting mat is sliding around too much, wash it in soapy water and it will be sticky again.
- Her favourite book machine quilting book: Quilting Makes the Quilt
All the talk of machine quilting set us up for the Community Quilts Day later in November. 21 members came and helped finish up quilts. A dozen or so members were willing to practice their machine quilting skills and impressed everyone with their efforts. Quilt on!