Make a Rail Fence border to go along one or more sides of your starting block.
Making a Rail Fence Block:
- Cut 1.5” strips of four fabrics.
- Sew all four strips together to make a strip set.
- This is an opportunity to check your ¼” seam as you assemble the block. Two strips sewn together should result in a strip that measures 2.5″ wide. All four strips sewn together should result in a strip that measures 4.5″ wide.
- Cross cut the strip set into 4.5” x 4.5″ blocks.
Making the Rail Fence Border:
Join the blocks by turning every second block by 90 degrees.
Helpful Resources re the Rail Fence Block:
- Spruce Crafts – Easy Rail Fence Bed Quilt Pattern
- Seymour Quilters Guild – Block of the Month February 2009 – Pinwheel Twist on the Rail Fence. This is another example of the use of Rail Fence and can be another option if you decide to make a Block of the Month quilt.
- Jenny Doan, Missouri Star Quilt Company – Rail Fence. Jenny gives hints on making the blocks. This is another option with Rail Fence that would make a good wheelchair quilt.