The block is an Envelope Block. It is constructed using half square triangles (HST’s).
You will need 8 – 5″ squares
- 4 tone-on-tone blue or green 5″ squares
- 3 white 5″ squares
- 1 coordinating flower, or related, print 5″ square with some yellow in it
Place each white square and the flower print square on a tone-on-tone square right sides together. Draw a diagonal. Sew a seam on each side of the diagonal.
After sewing seams, cutting along diagonals, and, pressing open, you will have 8 HST squares. Square them up to 4.5″
Arrange each set of 4 squares to make the Envelope block. Sew the 4 squares together to make one block. You will have two blocks.
Bring your envelopes to the meeting in October for a draw. Each envelope = a ticket on the draw.
- Shiner’s view – Envelope Quilt tutorial – have a look to see possibilities with this block.
- Missouri Star You’ve Got Mail for Layer Cake is a tutorial for a quilt made with this block. It begins using a layer cake to cut four HST’s at once. Then it shows how to assemble the block and a quilt.
- Magic 8 Method of making HST’s is another way to make many HST’s at once. This method is for those who don’t like “stitching loose triangles together on the the bias”.